Have I got the mother of all chocolate desserts for you. OH MY PERFECTLY CHOCOLATEY GOODNESS, one bite of this intensely rich triple chocolate mocha trifle and you’ll never want to go back to regular dessert again. This is the dessert to end all desserts and it comes together so fast you’ll think I’m joking. But I’m not. I take dessert very seriously and I’m telling that you this triple mocha trifle, with its fudgy, gooey, cakey foundation; crunchy toffee; velvety and creamy mousse will be the part of the meal that everyone will remember and you’ll smile to yourself because you’ll have fooled them. Let them think you’ve been slaving for hours to make this piece of heaven!
Every time I’ve made this triple mocha trifle, people ask me for the recipe. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. And this weekend, when I made it for a potluck, was no exception. Chocolatey pieces of fudgy brownies are layered with chocolate syrup, pieces of chocolate covered toffee bars, topped with a mocha mousse and repeated until the bowl is about to overflow. And then you top with fresh chocolate shavings and more whipped cream. You’re probably asking yourself, “Hello, gorgeous! Where have you been all my life?!” I did the same thing when I had my first bite. And let me tell you, I look for every excuse to make this trifle. I used a trifle bowl because I have one and I’m very attached to it, especially after my first one shattered a few years ago, the night before Thanksgiving, and the Mister, being the stud that he is, went to like ten different stores to get a replacement that very night, so I could make my dessert. I won’t tell you that he was the one who accidentally dropped and broke the bowl in the first place. Oooops!
Okay enough stories. I’ve made from-scratch brownies and I’ve used package mixes for the brownie layer, and while the homemade brownies are decadent, the from-the-box brownies are no ugly betty. I’ll let you in on a secret to making brownies intensely chocolatey: add a teaspoon of instant coffee to the batter, and toss a cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips in a tablespoon of all-purpose flour (so they don’t sink to the bottom) and fold them into the batter. The coffee pairs so beautifully with the chocolate. I’ve also made fresh whipped cream and used Cool Whip and I love the Cool Whip for the time it saves. It also tends to hold up well over time, especially of you’re going to make this trifle in advance. Show off your fresh whipped cream another time. Which brings me to my next point: do not assemble this too far in advance otherwise the brownies will get soggy. Do all of the prep beforehand, like making the brownies, the mocha mousse and shave the chocolate the day before. Layer everything an hour or two before you need it. A common mistake people make (and then yell at me for) is they mix the instant pudding according to the package directions. Don’t do that. You need a thicker than normal pudding so it doesn’t water down the Cool Whip and has a whipped mousse consistency, rather than well…pudding soup. And use instant coffee granules (decaf or not) not ground coffee.
I used two packages of brownie mix in an 11X13 pan and had a row or two leftover. You may have more (less) left depending in how big your bowl is. Think of the leftovers as my gift to the chef, for working so hard to make this trifle! I also used a giant chocolate covered toffee bar.If you can’t find a giant one, just get 3 regular sized ones.I didn’t go too crazy decorating it. I just used a flower tip, filled a plastic bag (I was fresh out of piping bags) with some Cool Whip, and just pipped it onto the top of the trifle. Shave some chocolate of your choice and you’re good to go. Finally, once made, let it hang out in the fridge until you’re ready to serve!
- 2 packages brownie mix
- 1 3.3 oz french vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp instant coffee granules (decaf or regular)
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1⅔ cups cold milk
- 1 6.8 oz bar of toffee covered chocolate bar (or 3 smaller ones)
- 1½ containers Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate syrup (to coat bowl and add between layers)
- chocolate shavings (for garnish)
- Cool Whip in a piping bag (for garnish)
- Toss chocolate chips in flour and stir in 1 tsp instant coffee granules. Mix into brownie mix and prepare brownies according to package directions for cakelike brownies, in an 11X13 pan. Cool completely and cut into 1 inch squares.
- In a large bowl, whisk in pudding mix into milk. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp instant coffee and stir until fully incorporated. Let stand for 2 minutes. Fold in 1 full container of Cool Whip, until fully blended into the pudding.
- Coat a trifle bowl with a thin layer of of chocolate syrup, going up about 1 inch on the sides.
- Layer brownies, fitting them in tightly.
- Add another thin layer of chocolate syrup.
- Crumble ⅓ of candy bar on top of the brownies and chocolate syrup, spreading evenly.
- Spoon ⅓ of mocha mousse and spread evenly.
- Repeat two more times. Top final layer with mocha mousse.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings and pipe with remaining Cool Whip on top, if desired.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.