FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut and flattened into 4 cutlets
- 4 tbsp tandoori masaala (recipe follows), or less for milder flavor
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fat-free greek yogurt
- 2 medium romaine hearts, chopped
- 1/2 large parmesan shards (more if desired)
- 3 medium naan, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- sea salt for sprinkling
- oil or cooking spray for grilling chicken and coating naan
- fresh black pepper, if desired
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup fat-free greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp hot water (to thin out if needed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- juice and zest of one lemon
FOR THE TANDOORI MASAALA:
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (add more for spicier marinade)
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 5 cloves
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- red food coloring (optional)
MAKE THE TANDOORI MASAALA: In a medium skillet, over medium heat, add green and black cardamom pods, cloves, cumin, bay leaves, peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks and toast until fragrant, about 5 mins, moving the spices around in the pan, to prevent burning. Place all the toasted ingredients, salt turmeric, and red chili powder in a coffee grinder/spice grinder/blender and grind into a fine powder.
MAKE THE MARINADE: In a medium bowl, whisk together the tandoori masaala, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, yogurt, and red food coloring (if using). Add chicken and coat completely. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes*.
PREPARE THE DRESSING: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
TOAST THE CROUTONS: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray naan pieces with cooking spray and sprinkle salt and toss well to coat. Place in a single layer, on a baking sheet and toast for 12-15 mins, until golden brown and crispy. Set aside to cool.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD: while the croutons are toasting, grill the chicken until juices run clear. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes while prepping salad. In a large bowl, add lettuce and top with parmesan shards and cooled naan croutons. Dice chicken into large pieces and place on top of chicken. Pour in dressing and toss to coat.Serve immediately with fresh cracked pepper if desired.
* The longer the chicken marinates, the better the flavor. I usually marinate the chicken overnight, in bigger batches.