- 1 4-5 lb pie pumpkin (or 4 cups pumpkin puree)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2–3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 4–5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- To roast pumpkin (this can be done ahead of time):
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a sharp knife, cut the pumpkin half lengthwise. Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop out the seeds and scrape clean until no “strings” remain. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and roast pumpkin, flesh side down for 30-40 minutes or until a fork inserted into the pumpkin flesh comes out easily. Once cool, scoop out the flesh, lightly mash with a fork, and set aside. This yields about 4 cups, depending on the size of the pumpkin.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat and add onions and carrots. Add salt and saute until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute, until garlic becomes fragrant. Add cumin powder and cook for 30 seconds, until cumin begins to become fragrant.
- Add pumpkin and stir to incorporate. Add paprika, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, and pumpkin pie spice. cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and drizzle in syrup while stirring. Add pomegranate molasses and continue to stir until molasses is dissolved. Stir in milk and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Working in parts in a blender, or directly in the pot with a hand emersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to low heat and add in cream and black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with 1 tbsp cream and croutons, if desired.