I love eggrolls. If they weren’t so calorie heavy, I would eat them by the dozen. The heart of it all is the filling, though. The ribbons of cooked, shredded vegetables that are still slightly crisp. The tender morsels of meat that are so well hidden only to be discovered by your mouth. The slightly salty flavor that lingers on your tongue, long after you’ve devoured that eggroll. Eating an eggroll is a culinary experience for me.
Guiltless eggroll in a bowl brings the best parts of the eggroll, without the fat and the carbs. I first made it when we had an over abundance of green cabbage and carrots in our CSA box. Now, it is one of the most requested dinner items in my house. The recipe itself is very forgiving so you can easily omit the meat and still have a very filling meal.
I like to use fresh vegetables whenever possible, but in a pinch, you can just easily used a bagged coleslaw mix without compromising the flavor. One of the most appealing aspects of this dish for me was that it went from stovetop to dinner table in 30 minutes. That’s my kind of healthy, weeknight meal!
- 1 lb. ground chicken (breast, thigh, or combo)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage*
- 2 cups shredded carrots*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (low sodium is best)
- 1 tsp Srirarcha sauce (optional)
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Mix together soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and Sriracha and set aside.
- In wok or a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil on high heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and sauté, while breaking up any chunks that may form, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and carrots, cooking until the vegetables are tender but still crisp, about 5-6 minutes. Fold in the vegetables and meat as the vegetables wilt. Scrape the sides of the pan to prevent the vegetables from sticking.
- Add soy sauce mixture and fold into vegetables until well incorporated. Cook for 1 minute.
- Take off heat
*can be substituted with 1 bag coleslaw mix