- [br]For the stir-fry:
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 onions cut into bite size pieces
- 1 red pepper cut into bite size pieces
- 1 green pepper cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup cashews+2 tbsp. cashew halves for garnish
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder (or 1 tbsp cornstarch)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or oil with high smoking point
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup coconut aminos/soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or ½ tbsp. cornstarch)
- 1 tsp garlic chili paste, if using (whole30 compliant)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- Make the sauce: combine coconut aminos/soy sauce, vinegar, broth, chili paste, garlic, and ginger. Whisk together and sprinkle in arrowroot powder/cornstarch, until completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Toast and chop the cashews: heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a heavy bottomed pan or wok over medium high heat. Add cashews and “fry” until cashews are golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Once cool, chop all but 2 tbsp. cashews and set aside.
- Cook the chicken: in a medium bowl, toss chicken with salt, pepper, and arrowroot powder/cornstarch, coating chicken well. Add chicken in a single layer into the pan/wok and brown all sides over high heat. Cook chicken until center is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the veggies: Heat remaining tbsp. of coconut oil in pan/wok, on high heat. Add veggies and toss to coat. Stir evenly, and continue cooking until veggies are tender but still crispy. Add the chicken back into the pan with the veggies, along with the chopped cashews. stir all ingredients together. Reduce heat to medium. Drizzle in the sauce evenly. The sauce will bubble up and thicken up. Remove from heat. Serve over rice, cauliflower, or by itself.
If you like saucier stir-frys, double the sauce. The recipe as written has a light coating of sauce but sometimes I double it if I’m serving with rice.
If you’re following a whole30 or paleo diet, make sure you use ingredients without soy, wheat, sugar, or any of the ingredients on the “off-limits” list.