- 5 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp cold water
- extra cheese for garnishing
- Heat butter in a large pot on medium low heat. Add onions and cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add carrots, salt, and nutmeg and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the carrots start to soften.
- Sprinkle in flour, one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Cook for 1 minute, until flour is cooked. Slowly stream in milk and stock, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer and add broccoli. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until broccoli is cooked. Puree if desired or lightly mash with potato masher to break up large pieces of vegetables.
- Add pepper and take off heat. Stir in cheese, until the cheese is fully melted.
- Turn the heat back on again, on low and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in cornstarch slurry and simmer until soup starts to thicken.**
- Serve hot with rolls and garnish with grated cheese if desired.
*grating the cheese from a block melts better than pre-shredded cheese
**soup will start to coat the back of a wooden spoon. If the soup gets too thick, thin out with 1/4 cup of water at a time, until it reaches desired consistency. If too thin, Dissolve 1 tsp cornstarch in 2 tsp of water add to soup and bring to a simmer.